On 29 March 2023 the Law Commission of E&W, together with the Scottish Law Commission, published its report, as well as a proposal for new legislation, on reforms of the legal framework in relation to surrogacy. The Commission specifically wanted to address the unsatisfactory circumstances surrounding parenthood.
The recommendations include:
- a new pathway to legal parenthood from birth, rather than months later;
- an HFEA regulatory framework for surrogacy support organisations;
- reforms to parental orders;
- a Surrogacy Register;
- clearer rules on commercialisation aspects; and
- incentivisation of domestic surrogacy over international surrogacy.
More details, as well as a summary and the full report, can be found on the Law Commission website.